The Madness of the Marathon Runner

The Madness of the Marathon Runner

Welcome to my marathon training blog. Less than half way into a 16 week training programme from what will hopefully be my ninth marathon, ...

Thursday 26 January 2017

Blowin in the wind - the difficulties of running during a storm!

Yesterday, as part of my ongoing marathon training programme, I was scheduled to run 4 mile repeats with a short breather in between, at a faster pace to build strength and enable a strong cardio workout. The problem was, a yellow storm warning was in effect and I was thrown to its mercy whilst at the same time trying to hit my targets. The question is, should we be in fact even running in these adverse conditions and if so, attempting to achieve targets that may be within reach on a calm day but out of sight during storm season?
Firstly, in my own opinion, unless there are cars overturning and electricity poles collapsing in the midst of a tsunami, I would tie the laces and get out there. You never know the conditions you will face on the day and its always beneficial to get accustomed to whatever the elements may throw at you. It may not be pleasant, but it's necessary from a mental toughness viewpoint mainly.
Give me rain, searing heat, snow and ice but it's the gale force wind that always gets me. The energy consumed in tackling the conditions (not to mind, the miles) can be exhausting and for this reason, even though I wouldn't cry off and blame the weather, I also wouldn't burn too many calories trying to hit unrealistic targets in unfavourable conditions.
What develops can be physically and mentally draining and frustrating, as you could conceivably have burned twice as much energy without receiving the required results.
In a nutshell, don't be scared of the bad weather and tuck up under the duvet, vowing to do double the next day to make up for the day off - get out there and battle the elements , just not at lightning speed!

Todays Scheduled Training: 45mins Strength and Conditioning and 3.5 miles at marathon pace


No comments:

Post a Comment