The Madness of the Marathon Runner

The Madness of the Marathon Runner

Welcome to my marathon training blog. Less than half way into a 16 week training programme from what will hopefully be my ninth marathon, ...

Monday 23 January 2017

Week 7: Long Run 18 Miles (Hello Planter my old friend!)

After a tough few days of increased pace runs, weights and cross training, week 7 of my marathon training programme ends with an 18 mile run with the promise of an easy week to come and a bit of tranquility for the body and soul!
With my good friend Seamus, we set out in the darkness at 7:15am with only  the street lights and a certain smugness that accompanies a run at that hour whilst the world sleeps, to guide us.
I have been experiencing a bit of lower back pain and tightness in hamstrings and calf muscles such has been the raising of intensity in this marathon training programmme so,as always, I am a bit apprehensive of the road ahead.
The first few miles always seem to be a but sluggish as it takes time to settle into the designated pace, safe in the knowledge that our timeworn garmins are telling us the truth regarding our speed.
After a few miles, however, we seem to settle into a comfortable,talking (mainly rambling) pace and our first 10 miles add nothing in the way of discomfort (and as Van Morrison would say "and the craic was good!)
First water stop and gel at ten miles saw a new experience for us both - the grab "the water at speed and don't stop to take it on" move which we carried out with the grace of two giraffes attempting to roller skate..on ice!
Drinks and gels on board, on we strode to our next 6 miles which involved an about turn at three but this again managed comfortably with our guide pace keeping us focussed and determined. As I bid my compatriot adieu at the 16 mile mark and attempting (even less gallantly) to take on more refreshment, I strode off for the last 2 miles overwhelmed by the thoughts of the upcoming rest and a big old bag of MEP's (Heart Rate Monitor Points that prove to the world that you were actually working out and not just pretending to be!)
The one residing factor about this new training programme is that mental strength and focus seems to be much more evident this time around. With this new found drive, I ran my last two miles about 45 secs quicker than the previous sixteen with the finish line beckoning.
That is when my old friend plantar fascitis (otherwise known as "that planter thing" or "planter fuchsias" or whatever you're having yourself) raised its ugly head. For those who haven't experienced planter fascitis before, lucky you. For those who have, I feel your pain! The hobbling and sharp pain that now accompanies every step takes the gloss somewhat off the previous two and half hours of perspiration. I have also learned another valuable lesson this time around however, and that is not to panic. In this case, I have a feeling that the pain may be related to a tightening of my calf muscle as it has been in the past and spend the next few hours stretching it out and rolling a tennis ball (if I can wrestle it away from the dog!) on my heel and finally the pain eases and relief comes in waves (and a great big bag of minstrels!)
Overjoyed with another long run under the belt done (at a pace eleven seconds faster than required) its onwards and upwards for this contented runner!

No comments:

Post a Comment