The Madness of the Marathon Runner

The Madness of the Marathon Runner

Welcome to my marathon training blog. Less than half way into a 16 week training programme from what will hopefully be my ninth marathon, ...

Friday 3 March 2017

10 Tips that have made this training programme more enjoyable!

On this marathon training  programme due to a more polished regime (thanks Joe), I have made some considerable changes this time around. Here are what I feel are the top 10:
10. The addition of strength training has had massive results on my pace and durability during those long runs.
9. Active Recovery has helped gain those extra few miles on the legs without totally switching off and therefore staying focused.
8. The 22 mile run has made it easier for me psychologically to cope with those extra few miles I'll face on race day.
7.The improvement in my diet has ensured that training has gone well and that sluggish feeling experienced previously from a bad diet is thankfully a thing of the past.

6.The addition of the heart monitor/belt has lead to a more structured and precise study of those long runs and how I've coped fatigue wise.
5. Varying my runs (especially the nature of my longer runs) has kept me mentally and phsically fresh.
4.The practice run has been great for the body and mind as it's taken a lot of the nerves out of what I'll face on marathon day.
3.Resting when injured/tired has stood to me throughout the programme and as a reult I'm now ready to take on the 26.2 challenge!
2.Running without a water belt has freed me up to run more naturally therefore keeping my natural running pace going.
1.More emphasis on stretching has seen less injuries and a feeling of freshness.

No comments:

Post a Comment