The Madness of the Marathon Runner

The Madness of the Marathon Runner

Welcome to my marathon training blog. Less than half way into a 16 week training programme from what will hopefully be my ninth marathon, ...

Tuesday 7 March 2017

5 Things I'm looking forward to after this marathon is over!

Don't get me wrong! - This training programme has been great (much better than my previous attempts). It has been challenging yet invigorating - never feeling like a chore and I've enjoyed every minute of it. There are however, certain habits and behaviours that marathon training demands that I will gladly leave behind  after the 18th March!
Here are my top five:
5: Running in mindless conditions:It will be great to look out the window on a horrendous day and think to myself in the immortal words of Mr.T "I pity the fool that has to run in that weather!" Marathon training demands that weather conditions have to be battled with to get those miles on the clock and sometimes that may involve battling wind and rain in pursuit of that mileage!After the marathon I will welcome indoor training with open arms!
4: Running gels:
A very important part of long mileage training and an absolute must on the big day but these sachets of necessity really are disgusting! Anytime I have to include them in marathon training again just bring me back to dark days of pain over the last few miles of a marathon squeezing the last drop and hoping it's enough to get you home! Suffice it to say, these gels won't be my snack of choice when the race has been run!
3.Having a life!:
Marathon training tends to take over your life for the few months leading up to the marathon itself. It's easy to obsess over mileage, form, pace, diet, sleep etc while you are in the middle of a fairly intense training programme. Smelling the roses on a return to normal life will be most welcome on completion of the marathon!
2: Bye bye injury: Training that demands less time on the feet will give the tormented planters that bit of rest required and should result in less injury in general as a training programme (for someone of my age!!) can be tough on the body and the lack of miles and intensity with rest and recuperation and a break from the blasted tennis ball massage!
1.A break from the road:
As much I enjoy running - too much of anything can be bad for you! A break from the roadrunning to concentrate on time in the gym, on the bike and more besides will be welcomed as all that mileage can have both physical and mental effects on the system and a well deserved breather will be just what the doctor ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment