The Madness of the Marathon Runner

The Madness of the Marathon Runner

Welcome to my marathon training blog. Less than half way into a 16 week training programme from what will hopefully be my ninth marathon, ...

Monday 6 March 2017

The frustration of injury and how to cope!

With two weeks to go and all the long training runs behind me, the effects of the last few weeks are beginning to take their toil and the dreaded planter fascitis has again raised its ugly head leaving me with a predicament - do I continue with running or take a break off the feet this close to race day?
I thankfully chose the later and spent the last few days on the exercise bike (which feels a lot more difficult to me than the road, to be honest!) keeping the legs moving and feeling fresh and ready for my return to the road.
Any stupid moves at this stage would be catastrophic as all the hard work is done and it is now just a case of avoiding illness, treating injury and staving off the mental frustration that comes with just wanting to get the race started!
After my spell on the bike, I still feel that my fitness levels have remained, I've given the planter a chance to recover and I've also developed a longing for the road again - which after all the miles I've done over the last few months,I didn't think was possible.
*As a side note anyone who had to run in the horrendous conditions over the weekend - kudos to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment