The Madness of the Marathon Runner

The Madness of the Marathon Runner

Welcome to my marathon training blog. Less than half way into a 16 week training programme from what will hopefully be my ninth marathon, ...

Tuesday 28 February 2017

22 mile run - the advantage of that extra long run!

On all previous training programmes 20 was the magic number - the mileage I was obsessed with. How many 20 milers I had done indicated to me how prepared or unprepared I was for the upcoming marathon. There was no particular pattern to any of these 20 mile runs - just relief at getting them done. I realise this time around how bogus that approach was.
Every run should mean something regarding your training and lessons should be learned after each one. On doing a 20 mile run it never occurred to me until maratohn day that I still had a tough long 6.2 miles to go and no amount of 20 milers could prepare me for the fact that this meant another hour on my already tired feet.
This time around however, my mileage is extended to include a 22 mile run meaning more time on my feet and consolation in the knowledge that at the 22 mile mark on marathon day I'm only 4 miles from home and I've spent a substantial amount of time already "on my feet" during this training programme which should enable me to cope for those last few tough miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment