The Madness of the Marathon Runner

The Madness of the Marathon Runner

Welcome to my marathon training blog. Less than half way into a 16 week training programme from what will hopefully be my ninth marathon, ...

Friday 24 February 2017

Long Run Variety - how each long run can benefit you differently

On each previous programme the long run was a thing of dread, something that just had to be done - at whatever pace I wished! It became a very tough mental as well as physical obstacle as there was no substance or consistency to the long run (the pace of miles varied) and the result was that other than time on my feet I learned little or nothing from those long runs.
This time around however, each long run has benefitted me in various different ways and embedded consistent pace and added mental toughness into my running.
The first twenty was completed at a partucluar pace and returning to a point I raised in an earlier blog it was the pace not the miles that was the focus of my concentration.
The second twenty was about establishing my marathon pace and rather than discovering my capabilites or lack of them on the day of the marathon - this twenty miler was the breeding ground for such an experiment resulting in a clear picture of what I need to do for maximum results on race day.
My last long run (which I'm doing this week) will be a twenty two mile run which will enable me to spend more time on my feet and become accustomed to what the end stages of the marathon will feel like.
I now feel like I have all boxes ticked when it comes to long run training as I have developed a consistent pace and spent adequate time on my feet and I'm ready for marathon day hopefully prepared as best as I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment