The Madness of the Marathon Runner

The Madness of the Marathon Runner

Welcome to my marathon training blog. Less than half way into a 16 week training programme from what will hopefully be my ninth marathon, ...

Monday 13 February 2017

Run your own Race!

Having just completed a 10 mile practice race in preparation for the marathon (thanks Dan for the company en route!), I was quite happy with the outcome, as firstly the race went well for me but also I ran it as I had planned and to my own abilities.
I have often set out at the start of these races and everything I've told myself beforehand goes out the window and I set off at a pace which is too hot and unsustainable as I just get caught up in the race atmosphere. What results down the road is burnout and a struggle to that finish line.
During the race, I used also try to keep pace with total strangers for reasons unbeknownst to myself. Why do this? I don't know what their goals or targets are so why try and match or beat them? This was largely a recipe for disaster as all my hard work in training would be wasted for these rash race day decisions.
Today, however was different, as I concentrated on my own goals regardless of what was going on around me, and it is no surprise that the result was better!

No comments:

Post a Comment