The Madness of the Marathon Runner

The Madness of the Marathon Runner

Welcome to my marathon training blog. Less than half way into a 16 week training programme from what will hopefully be my ninth marathon, ...

Friday 3 February 2017

Crouching Tiger Hidden Pain!

With the introduction of core strengthening and weights into my training for the first time ever in a marathon training programme, I have noticed a distinct change in my running style.
With a weak core previous long runs tended to be very tough during the last few miles as all the pressure seemed to fall on my back and hips resulting in a almost hunchback running style as I desperately tried to crawl my way to that finish line! The aftermath of such hardship wasn't pretty either with back and hip pain haunting me for days after those long runs!
I now find that my running style is more solid and upright, enabling me to keep a clear eye on the road ahead and spreading the pressure evenly through the legs, core and arms.
In fact when the pressure of a long run rears its head during those last few miles it's the arms that tend to take over and push me to the finale with a lot less grief and more importantly, less pain in the followings days!

Todays Scheduled Training: Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment