The Madness of the Marathon Runner

The Madness of the Marathon Runner

Welcome to my marathon training blog. Less than half way into a 16 week training programme from what will hopefully be my ninth marathon, ...

Tuesday 14 February 2017

These shoes are made for running - picking the right shoe!





The first step (and the most important one) after deciding to attempt that special twenty six mile expedition is what type of shoe is best suited to withstand the upcoming punishment it is going to endure on the hard country roads in the lead up and execution of the marathon.
As this is my ninth attempt at this particular example of madness I've tried most methods for picking the correct shoe and finally as I've laced up for my ninth (and not for the first time in this marathon training programme) the penny has finally dropped and it's not rocket science - just pick the pair that you are most comfortable in! After all, you and these shoes are going to become quite close over the next few weeks and months, picking off miles together through wind and rain, good times and bad, therefore they must be suitable and comfortable for a start.
For years, I listened to experts tell me that this type of shoe has more cushioning or that I need insoles or at least a 10mm heel to toe drop (whatever that is!) but this time I've taken the simpler option - I choose the pair that fit and feel the best - resulting in comfort and ease where I don't have to "break in" these particular shoes or compensate for that extra height and lack of balance a big heel may give but just slip them on and worry about the miles ahead and not the pain that I may endure due to inappropriate footwear!

No comments:

Post a Comment