The Madness of the Marathon Runner

The Madness of the Marathon Runner

Welcome to my marathon training blog. Less than half way into a 16 week training programme from what will hopefully be my ninth marathon, ...

Monday 6 February 2017

That first 20 mile high!

Having just completed my first twenty miler in my current marathon training programme, I still get that fantastic sense of achievement and accomplishment that always comes form the first 20 mile run on a training programme, whether it's your first marathon or your ninth!
The aftermath of the first twenty mile run is when I first believe that I can actually climb this mountain and get all the way to that 26.2 mile finish line. The psychological benefits to such a long run are huge and that trepidation of that long distance seems to evaporate just a small bit knowing that you have already completed 20 of that 26.2 trek required.
If that long run goes well it is an added bonus as confidence naturally grows but even if it was a tough slog reassure yourself that a 20 mile run is no mean feat and maybe one that was out of reach a few months ago and take any lessons from that long run and use them wisely when attempting that distance again! Onwards and upwards!


Todays Scheduled Training: 45mins Strength and Conditioning and 3.5 miles at marathon pace



No comments:

Post a Comment